Tuesday, August 18, 2009

SECRET SONG

When the boys were newly home from the hospital, I was loving every second at home with them. I read to them, cooed to them, smelled their yummy baby smell, and sang. I sang a lot because, at the time, they were a captive audience and couldn’t really do anything to avoid my hideous voice. I even made up a song for them that nobody else ever heard for mor than a year. Even now, it’s rare that I sing it in front of anyone but them. It’s out little secret. It goes like this:

I had a dream, and the dream was you
It was [insert other child’s name] and mommy too
You love me, and I love you
And now I know that dreams come true

My heart swelled to unbelievable proportions the first time they sang (or tried to sing) it. Now, it’s a part our nightly repertoire. It’s not uncommon to hear them singing it all day long, actually. One or both of them will sit in the rocking chair and really get it going while singing our secret song. A few nights ago, Peanut told me “rocka chair, rocka chair.” So, we walked into the front room and sat down. He climbed into my lap and requested “Hud-a-bye” (hush-a-bye song). So, I started singing it. I didn’t get any farther than the beginning of the second line when he interrupted me and said “I goh sing Had a Dream.” So, I waited for him to start singing. Then, he changed his mind and said “No, you sing. Go!” He joined me after I started our song.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are making note of all these wonderful, cockle-warming moments. It all goes by so fast