Tuesday, August 3, 2010

But for the grace...

I briefly shared the bus stop yesterday with a man carrying three very big garbage bags full of crushed aluminum cans. He was headed to the recycling center on 33rd, and from the looks of things, was having a hard run of luck. We chatted, and he seemed very intelligent, polite, and kind. All the while, I was reminded how lucky I am to have a job, a home, a cute and healthy family. All of that could change in a heartbeat, and it's good for me to remember that.

I'll donate blood today because I know that my health could be taken from me, too, at any time. I hope that my small donation can help someone (like the dad in critical condition after being hit by teen talking on a cell phone yesterday), and I hope - but surely cannot guarantee - that it won't be me next time. But for the grace of god/fate/good luck/aligned planets go I.

No comments: