Thursday, January 5, 2012

What could be?

Almost 16 years ago, my life was a shambles. My girlfriend was cheating on me, and the relationship was abusive. I was going to college full-time at night and working full-time during the day. Everything was a mess.

One night after work, I got in my truck to go home. I had just received my paycheck, and I had this incredible urge to just keep driving. I knew that I could grab my dog and stop in my hometown (two hours away) to drop him off with my brother. I also knew that my brother would loan me some more money so that I could drive even further.

I didn't know WHERE I wanted to go; I just knew that I wanted to GO.

However, there was this one girl... We had been friends for years, and she had asked me out about a hundred times (even though she knew that I was in a relationship and I refused her each time). I knew that if I drove away, I would never see her again, because I knew that I would never come back.

What could be of it if I stayed? Anything? Nothing? It was enough to make me stay one more night.

Well, here we are, 16 years later. For some reason, this memory popped into my head while I was showering tonight. It's not always been easy, nor has it always been romance and roses. Surprisingly, the jury is still out on her with some of my friends and definitely with one sibling and his spouse. She has made mistakes, some of them big. I have made mistakes, some of them huge. And not everyone understands where we are right now or why. But, through it all, we have managed to still love each other, and we are raising two wonderful little men.

I'm sure that if I had kept driving, I would be in Vermont or Georgia or Saskatchewan. I would probably be with someone who at least likes the Indigo Girls. I wouldn't, however, have THIS, and this is all that matters.

1 comment:

Bee Girl said...

What a wonderful story, thank you for sharing it. You couldn't be more right...none of us are perfect, we all make mistakes, but we are also exactly where we are supposed to be, and that is all that matters. Congratulations on your 16 years together! Here's to many, many more! :-)