Saturday, November 25, 2017

Cali - Day 7 - Central coast - not enough time

Oh, I just love it here. Next time, we'll just spend all of our time here. It's so kicked back and groovy and surf vibing.... (is vibing a word?)

I got up and took myself for a run.
Los Osos is located on the tidal flat, and the Chumash Indians used to collect fish and shellfish, and when I ran along here, I could clearly see how and why.
The morning was foggy and misty. The temperature was perfect.
First, I followed the trail to the flat, and then just went where the path went. This took me along a muddy path until I wasn't able to continue without really messing up my shoes (which, by the way, isn't a big deal unless you live with Bub - packing muddy shoes in the car with anything of hers? No.) So, I turned back a bit and then took a different path through the area. Groovy little place...

Then, I found the Elfin Forest sign. What the...? Elfin Forest? Yes - it's a thing.
Prehistoric sand dunes with a thing called "Coast live oak." Apparently, poor soil, constant wind, and salt spray will stunt your growth.
Literally, nothing here was taller than me, and most of it was lower than my shoulders. The local community has come together to purchase this land, and it's a cute little protected 90 acres when a series of walking paths and a boardwalk through a certain section. Little rollers added to the fun, and I met a few people along the path.

Once I returned and showered, we ate breakfast and cleaned up. We packed our stuff and headed out to see more of the coast before heading inland to see our friends.

Since it was still chilly, we stopped at Morro Bay and got a coffee and hot chocolate. I LOVE Morro Bay.
We didn't do anything exciting. We just walked around the streets by the coast and checked stuff out. The boats, the seals barking, Morro Rock, the signs that talked about the significance of Morro rock, the many dogs taking walks.
I would move here in a heartbeat. I've always loved it here.

Then, another beach - completely awesome - Pismo. I also love it here and have since 1990....
I wish we could have gone clamming. You just need a bucket, a shovel, and a desire to get to the beach before 6am.
But, playing is better than clamming. (You know what I love about kids? They can make friends with anyone because they haven't built up their walls yet.)

AND, then just like that, we hit the road again.
This time, Siri suggested a path that would save us ten minutes. Siri didn't tell us that it was like riding the Wild Mouse!!
This road was up and down and up and down and curvier than a Lane Bryant model.
We had so much fun flying down this road. We passed three other cars, maybe, and we got to see some beautiful farmland, hills, horses, roadside stands where we ate some of the biggest cherries that we've ever eaten.

But finally, we arrived in Chowchilla. It felt like we had been driving for seven days (which we had), and we were tired. We pulled into the Telford driveway cheers erupted! And, margaritas were mixed! And video games were played! And lots of burgers and noodle salad and chicken and chips were eaten.
Hallelujah!

No comments: