Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Wanda comes out

Comedian Wanda Sykes comes out during a rally in response to the passage of Prop 8 in CA. She and her wife were recently married, and now their union faces an uncertain future. Here is part of her speech:

"If we had equal rights, we shouldn’t have to be standing out here demanding something that we automatically should have as citizens of this country. But I got pissed off. They pissed me off. I said ‘You know what? Now I gotta’ get in your face.’

And that’s what we all have to do now. They pissed off the wrong group of people. They have galvanized a community. I mean, we are so together now, and we all want the same thing, and we’re not gonna’ settle for less. Instead of having gay marriage in California – NO – we’re gonna’ get it across the country!

How can you stop people from lovin’ each other? How can you get upset about love?

I love you all. Now, let’s go get our damn equal rights!"


Her remarks came at the same time as hundreds across the nation as part of a coordinated effort to hold rallies in all states at the same time. It was quite a success. So, at the same time that she was speaking, the boys and I were with 2000 other people in SLC listening to some pretty powerful local speakers, too. It was a fun, but chilly, day. We missed Bub, though. She just started a new job, and had to work.

No comments: