Friday, March 18, 2011

Tsunami in Japan

I know, I know. It was, like, a week ago. Unlike the rest of the blogging world, I haven't yet written about the disaster. That's because I've been watching the whole thing with a really detatched perspective. I think that a lot of us do that. Otherwise, the sense of defeat and heartbreak for the people living there would be overwhelming.

So, my friend from The Bloody Toe recently posted this. My response:

Isn't it just like a kid to bring the human-ness of the situation to our attention?

I've been almost addicted to YouTube - you know, watching the power of the water move everything from its path and wipe out entire villages - from a rooftop or helicopter perspective. It wasn't until yesterday when the video I was watching gave video AND audio of a group of kids - all under the age of 10, I'm guessing. They were all crying and screaming in their fear; all huddled around each other with thier parents trying to shield them from the reality of the situation.

It wasn't until that moment that I actually cried for the people in Japan.

**And, then I watched this video. I think that I held my breath for the entire time!

No comments: