Tuesday, September 11, 2012

10 things Tuesday

1. My current running shoes have almost 700 miles on them. That's about 300 more than they should, but I'm cheap and like to get every last nickel out of everything. Everything! Like, I wash out and reuse ziploc bags cheap. (Besides, that's just responsible. It takes a lot of resources to make a plastic bag. Our earth doesn't need my help in destroying it.) Anyway, there is no reason for me to be cheap about these shoes because I have a gift certificate for new shoes given to me by my absolutely awesome friend and running partner, Carol.

2. When I'm running, I try not to step on any sidewalk or street hole covers. The potential for falling through a loose cover is extremely minimal, but it IS there. Besides, if anyone is going to fall through one, it would be Bub, the clumsiest person I've ever met. (Another reason she needs health insurance!)

3. I've been a vegetarian for about 15 months, but I'm just not getting enough protein. Eating vegetarian can be a bit pricey at times, so I don't stock the fridge full of tofu or tempeh. I buy some, but not a lot. Besides, I'm the only vegetarian in the house, and I hate when things go to waste. I ate a small portion of chicken over the weekend, and it was really good. (By the way, I'm vegetarian for my cholesterol levels, not some moral imperative.)

4. I wear hose once per year at the company holiday party. Other than that, I'm bare legged, even in the winter. The holiday party has changed for this year, and I may be able to get away with a pants suit/outfit. Oh, happy day!

5. My friend from Kansas is coming home for a visit in September. I can't wait to see her. It's been five years! I wish she would just move back, already! I see a night of martinis and other assorted umbrella drinks in our future. (And by "night," I mean three drinks and in bed by 9!)

6. I am a very honest friend, and I don't see a huge need for pussy-footing around a subject. Therefore, it you don't want to know what I think, don't tell me the latest stupid thing that you have done. I will tell you, straight up, that you were a dope for cheating on your spouse, that you are a poor driver with the tickets to prove it, that you can be mean spirited and hurtful, etc. Not shockingly, some of this isn't always received with open arms or mind. However, in my own defense, I will also tell you that I admire your decision to care for your elderly parent, that I get all butterflies-in-the-tummy when I watch your interactions with your kids, and that you have awesome shoes. I am a nice person, really.

7. That reminds me, when I was 12 and my cousin was 10, we lived with my grandpa to care for him. I lived there on the weekdays, and she lived there on the weekends. It was entirely too much responsibility for people so young, but I will never regret that year of my life. (By the way, this cousin and I share the same birthday!)

8. The boys have been excellent about going to sleep in their own beds lately. You would think that this would mean that I'm turning in earlier and getting more sleep myself. Not the case. Now, I have more time to read, do dishes, and think up new jam combinations. Oh, and worry about bills.

9. I'm going to spend next summer teaching the boys how to ride a horse. I can't wait. I'm very sad that I don't have a horse of my own anymore. If I could just get all of those damn bills paid off!

10. I love breakfast food, and I think that there should be a law against eating non-breakfast items in the morning. Like pizza and Chinese take-out. It's just not right. Ok. Maybe not a law, but some very strong guidelines. Breakfast food, on the other hand, can and should be eaten any time of day. When I was younger and lived at home, we would have waffles at least one dinner per week. Always with strawberries and whipped cream. And if the strawberries weren't in season, we would get those frozen cans and whip them up with some "Danish Delight." (Hmmm. I don't even know exactly what Danidh Delight is! I haven't had it in so long!)

No comments: