Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Movie Review: The Kids are All Right

I don't usually do movie reviews because I don't usually have time to watch a movie until it's been out for a year or so. OK, this movie has been out for a while, but whatever.

We just watched this movie last night, and I was not entirely impressed. I kept looking at Bub and saying "This won an award for comedy?"

I saw a lot of us in the two characters and their relationships with the kids. I was furious when Juliane Moore's character slept with Mark Ruffalo. I had been warned about this, but I thought that I could deal with it better than I did. I was under the assumption that it was once, not many times, so I just got angrier!

I actually liked the way that Annette Bening played her character. She just looked so tired and torn up to me. And, I like the way Mark Ruffalo played his role. So many of us probably don't even consider what goes through the donor's mind 18 years later. Known donor or anonymous, have we considered all the implications? Probably not.

Personally, I was really taken back when the daughter snapped at the moms about showing the world a "perfect lesbian family" because I often catch myself trying to do everything just a bit better than I think straight parents would. I don't do this because I want to be the best but because I feel like I have to over-compensate so that others can clearly see that we are great parents and have every right to be considered parents. I think that it's a trap that a lot of us fall into but not a lot of us talk about.

Overall, it was a good movie, but it certainly wasn't a comedy, and it pissed me off. So, I was impressed, but not in the way that I had hoped to be. Frankly, I'm pissed off any time ANYONE cheats on their spouse/partner/significant other, so that wasn't unique to this movie. I am pissed that a LOT of straight people will look at the movie and say "See? Lesbians are women who just haven't met the right guy...."

1 comment:

qweirdutah said...

I hated this movie on so many levels. I was also pissed off that the movie had been recommended to me by numerous people - none of whom thought to warn me that it's about a lesbian who sleeps with a man - as a general rule I try to avoid movies with lesbians who have affairs (specifically I try to avoid movies with lesbians who have affairs with men.) It was so heteronormative and seemingly made for straight men (what straight man doesn't like the idea of "turning" a lesbian - even if just for a little while.) Ugh, I think this movie made me need counseling!