Sunday, April 22, 2012

impromptu picnic

Picnics. Another reason to love spring. When I got home from work on Friday, I found Bub on the couch surrounded by cold medicine and crumpled tissues. She finally caught what the boys have had for two weeks. Oh, the joy. They were still sniffly and coughing, so their sleepover at Papa's and Nana's had been cancelled. Besides, with Bub sick, out date night wouldn't have been much fun, anyway. (Well, if we chose HER idea of dinner and a movie. How traditional! MY idea was to clean the computer room. What can I say? I'm original, at least. It could have been fun, I'm sure.) Anyway, the sun was shining, and it was in the 70s, so Peanut suggested a picnic. At first, he didn't want anything to eat, but he changed his tune when he realized that we could eat outside in the yard. His choice for dinner? Huckleberry yogurt, canned mandarine oranges, and a roll. Meatball didn't want anything. I made me a taco and them a quesadilla. I also took some salsa (that I made last year, YUM) and my new favorite tortilla chips (and that's saying something BIG): Juanita's. (For the record, Juanita's doesn't even know that I buy their chips, but I'm sure that they are grateful because I've got to be lining their wallet! These chips are so good! They are thin and light and have hardly any salt and they are just yummy. Love them. Review is mine - I wasn't compensated for it - but if anyone knows how I can get a free bag of these things, I would be so happy!) Anyway Peanut found us a nice spont on the lawn with "no specks." (We recently watched "Horton Hears A Who," so we're overly concerned with destroying tiny communities that live on lawn weeds.) He then spread our picnic blanket, aka a pillowcase, so that we could dine in luxury. They both proceeded to run around the yard for an hour and only ate half of their food. I, however, managed to eat half the bag of Juanita's tortilla chips. In all, it was a wonderful Friday night. An almost perfect date - too bad that Bub couldn't enjoy it with us.

No comments: