Friday, April 19, 2013

A good read - a classic

I just finished reading Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte.
Usually, when something is very wordy, I get bored and frustrated. (I don't STOP - I finish what I start!) This book, written in 1846, was definitely wordy, but it caught my attention, for sure.
For its time, it was probably a steamy romance, but definitely not compared to today's standards.
There was a love triangle, but it was not... I'm having a hard time describing it!
Anyway, it was a classic, and I know that I should read more of these. It took me a bit longer than I had hoped, but I'm glad that I read it.
I've now passed it along to a friend.

Anyway.....

My favorite funny line from the book - probably the ONLY funny line from the book:
Heathcliff: “Sit down and take your dinner with us; a guest that is safe from repeating his visit can generally be made welcome.”
(Sounds like my dad!)

My favorite speech that just screamed LOVE to me (even though he is angry and shouting and ranting and miserable):
Heathcliff: “May she wake in torment” he cried, with frightful vehemence, stamping his foot, and groaning in a sudden paroxysm of ungovernable passion. “Why, she’s a liar to the end” Where is she? Not there – not in heaven – not perished – where? Oh, you said you care nothing for my sufferings! And I pray one prayer – I repeat it till my tongue stiffens – Catherine Earnshaw, may you not rest as long as I am living! You said I killed you – haunt me, then! The murdered do haunt their murderers, I believe. I now that ghosts have wandered on earth. Be with me always – take any form – drive me mad! Only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! It is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!”
(Isn't this just what love is like? And, who uses words like "paroxysm"? I just loved the combination of words in this book. Ungovernable, unutterable, passion [but not in the sexual way], vehemence... Wonderful words for hundreds of pages!)

No comments: