Wednesday, May 21, 2008

plans for LEGAL marriage - Ellen & Portia are invited!

So, I can't stop thinking about how we're going to do this whole LEGAL marriage and wedding ceremony this fall when we go to California. We FOR SURE have to go now! Yes - it's going to be cheapest vacation we've ever done. Yes - we'll be eating out of a cooler instead of swank restaurants. Yes - after a year of formula and diapers FOR TWO, we're broke. B.R.O.K.E. Nope - I don't care. We have a chance to get legally married - even if it's only for a few days until the magic of a state line negates it. And, I don't care how broke we are, we're going to do it. I just have this picture in my head of the four of us on the beach in white linen shirts and khaki pants - barefoot, sand scoonching between our toes, with Momma B and Momma K declaring for a second time that they promise to love each other forever - no matter how much we drive each other crazy! (Anyone who knows us understands that this is an unrealistic - although beautiful - picture. By the time we actually get everyone dressed, ready, and on a beach for a short ceremony, Bub will have spilled something on her white shirt, someone will have barfed on my shoulder, one little male person will have fallen in very wet sand, and the other little male person will have popsicle juice on everything. BUT, it's a wonderful visual either way, isn't it?) Finally, I know that this is ridiculous and corny, but Bub and I were both SO excited for Ellen Degeneres and Portia De Rossi that we got all teary eyed when Ellen announced their pending ceremony on her show. Really, truly happy for them and every other gay and lesbian couple (and couples-to-someday-be) in California. So, in typical, sappy, nerd-girl style, I sent them an e-mail wishing them all the happiness and love that the world has to offer. Then, in a fit of extreme nerdiness, I also invited them to our ceremony. Yeah - as if they would have time to hang on the beach in San Luis Obispo with us..... BUT, wouldn't it be a RIOT if they showed up? It could only get better if Barbra was officiating the ceremony and the Indigo Girls were playing for the reception. (Ahhhhh.... When I dream, I dream big!)

No comments: