Friday, May 9, 2008

A published poet in the family

We just received a late night call from JWC to inform us that she will be a published poet! She submitted a poem to the Young Poets Guild (or some such group - it's late and I don't have all of the details yet) and has been chosen for publication. Even better, she is in the running for a $3000 prize! But, to top it all off, the poem she wrote was dedicated to her paternal grandmother (my mom) who died from cancer ten years ago and to her maternal grandmother who is currently fighting her 2nd bout of breast cancer. Our poet is only 13 years old! I'm so proud of her! She has plans to write while she is someday travelling the pro-rodeo circuit and sell her cowboy poetry books when she retires from rodeo. She informed me that her goal is to never work for someone else a day in her life. I wish her all the best with that dream; it sure wouldn't suck! Congrats, JWC!

No comments: