Monday, March 17, 2008

Itch (or bitch?) update

Being discharged. Official diagnosis: still ?????????????
If I become jaundiced at ALL, if I have ANY nausea, if I have any ANYTHING, I have to come right back in.
I'll be coming in for NSTs 2x/week.
I think that I get to go back to work next week.

It's frustrating not to have an answer after all of this time. It's frustrating that the human body is so mysterious.
*********************************
Still no news as to what is wrong with my liver.

I just had another non-stress test. The boys are performing wonderfully. I have a doc appointment in a couple of hours along with another blood test to check my liver functions. After that, we'll know if If'm allowed to be free for a couple more days or if I'll be back in the hospital.

I don't know if I mentioned it before or not, but I've been having a really hard time gaining weight. I eat as much as I can (now minus fat, salt and sugar) as often as I can. I eat so much that it seems like I could puke at a moments notice. REGARDLESS of my extra-eating efforts, I lost four pounds while in the hospital last week. (I ate everything that they put in front of me and then some!) I lost another pound over the weekend.

I can't help but wonder if the liver problems and the lack of weight gain are related. They must be, right? I'll talk to my doc about it in a couple of hours.

I have been lucky enough for the docs to have given me a prescription that REALLY reduces the itching that I've been experiencing. I am NOT a fan of taking any medicines, but this was necessary. It's doing more than making the itch go away, I'm sure, but my feet are very thankful. I've scratched far fewer sores on them in the last couple of days. Now, I look like I have had pox or measles with my little, red, scabby sores all over my feet/arms/legs/chest. God, I'm a hottie.....
****************************
Good news! To quote the nurse, my blood results "look sooooooooo much better!"

So, no hospital stay for me this week! (Whew!) I guess the enzymes are headed in the right direction. If I were a religious person, I would swear that the medication for the itching was sent straight from heaven. Instead, I'll thank the brilliant person who invented it. I am NOT crazy with constant scratching.

AND - I even gained a pound since yesterday! By the end of last night, I thought that I would either vomit or my stomach would explode, but it's a pound in the right direction.

All is good in the land of chemical weapons and nuclear waste. (Tooele, UT - it's an interesting place)

No comments: