Monday, March 17, 2008

Still in love

April 11, 2007
Bubba and I were married ten years ago today. (Almost to the hour! 11am).
We were married on the one year anniversary of our first date.
We had been friends for about four years before that first date.

Our friends are still amazed that we've made it to this point. Because of her fun loving ways and her reputation as a HUGE flirt, she was pegged to forever be single. Because of my shy nature, sad social skills and incredible reputation as a door mat, I was pegged to forever be screwed over by anyone who dated me.

BUT because we really FIT and complement each other, we have both become people that nobody expected. Our relationship has really empowered us to grow and grow.

We've gone through MANY hard times, but we still manage to cling to our love and get through the worst. (We continue to cling to hope that the good citizens of Utah pull their heads out of their asses and eventually overturn the state constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage or anything that remotely resembles it.)

Bubba and I actually got off to a rocky start in the very beginning.

Circa Whitney Houston in The Bodyguard: I started working a 2nd job at the only lesbian bar in town. I was the door person and the DJ. Bubba was a regular who refused to show me her ID on my very first night since EVERYONE in the world should have known her. I thought that she was cute, but arrogant. With the help of a couple of beers, she got over the shock and irritation of producing an ID and proceeded to ask me out. She was a bit torked that I wouldn't go out with her, but I was with someone else at the time, and I'm fiercely loyal. (Although for the record, I was incredibly attracted to her.) For weeks after that, she and her friends would sit at "their" table and scream "WHITNEY!!!!!!! WHITNEY!!!!!!!!! PLAY WHITNEY!!!!!!!!!" While Queen of the Night really is a good song, I wanted to strangle every one of them, every night.

We eventually got over it and became friends. (For me, the attraction remained.)

Four years later, my relationship was on the rocks because my SO was sleeping with our other roommate. (Remember, my door mat self-description?) One night, I decided that I was fed up. I left work on my dinner break and went to the same bar (still the only lesbian bar in town) and asked Bub to dance. While dancing, I asked her about 50 questions like Do you like opera? Do you like to fish? What do you think about blah, blah, blah. I liked all of her answers. I was still very attracted to her. I just wanted to make sure that if I broke up with my SO, that I would have a chance at a couple of dates in the least. After the dance, I went back to work.

Two weeks later, I broke up with my SO. Two months later, Bubba and I were in an exclusive relationship. A year later, we were married with our two best friends as witnesses. Ten years later, we're pregnant with twins. I still think that she's a hottie.

No comments: